Douglas Marketing Group was proud to host the first of our 2013-2014 speaker series featuring Todd Hohauser, President, Harvey Hohauser & Associates “Finding the Right Lieutenants”. He brought his experience and knowledge from the executive search perspective on what to look for in candidates for leadership positions. The 15 tips that follow provide useful information in charting a course for leadership development.
1. Examine and identify corporate culture and best fit.
2. Carefully design the interview process including a coordinator and what parties should be involved.
3. Consult staff prior to designing the job, job description and interviewing.
4. Take the opportunity to update job descriptions.
5. Conduct an honest evaluation of the predecessor’s traits, pros and con’s to ensure the new executive’s success in the job.
6. Be clear about measurable goals and objectives. What achievements/milestones will make the person “successful”.
7. Seek appropriate consulting experts.
8. Review resumes for necessary experiences, quantitative results and credentials.
9. Openly discuss the opportunity with candidates; positives and negatives.
10. Use the same interview questions (behavioral) for each candidate. Take notes.
11. Talk about why someone would like the job.
12. Ask behaviorally based questions that require candidates to explain what he/she has actually done.
13. Move with a sense of urgency.
14. Thoroughly check references.
15. Active recruiting is best.